I’ve had a few people this month ask me how they can break through the weight loss plateau they are experiencing after months of being on a ketogenic diet and taking exogenous ketones. First, props to them for keeping up with the ketogenic lifestyle for months! Many people can’t find the desire or discipline to stick with it for more than a couple weeks; so way to go! Second, it is PERFECTLY normal to experience a plateau in your weight loss goal; the trick is to not let it defeat you. If you’ve been at this plateau for more than three weeks, today’s message will help you learn how to break through it!
In this interview on Cut the Killer Carbs, Dr. Justin Anderson discusses a few of the challenges his clients are experiencing during their metabolic coaching programs. He says about 10% of metabolic coaching clients experience these plateaus. The Whoosh Effect is the collection of instances when your body can go a certain period of time with no movement in the weight, then all of a sudden drop a couple pounds and go right back to no movement. Here a few tricks to break your plateau:
- Count your carbs, religiously, for three days. After awhile, you become lax on your carb consumption. Put yourself back in check.
- Take a look at current medications, as some are associated with weight gain.
- Check your axial temperature in the morning to see if you have inadequate thyroid function.
- Take omega 3 fatty acids!
- Consider a light exercise regimen.
- Try two weeks of dairy to see if your body is sensitive to it.
- If you’re on current thyroid meds, switch from generic to name brand for more bioavailability.
- Watch out for farm-raised fish; get wild caught only.
- Remove diet sodas and artificial sweeteners.
- Don’t let your “cheats” go too far.
- Utilize intermittent fasting.
Here is another great resource for even more tips on how to break through your plateau, including eating too much or too little!
My personal recommendation for my clients is to change your daily routine. If you’ve been following the same regimen for more than six months, give your body something new to work with. Do high intensity movement for 5 minutes before you start your day. Use intermittent fasting at a different 8 hour time slot in the day. Up your exogenous ketone consumption a little! If you’ve been using 1/2 packet twice a day for months, try using 1/2 packet three times a day for a bit. If you haven’t implement the use of exogenous ketones in your weight loss journey, start now and see if that brings your cellular regeneration to a new level!
I hope this will help you get where you’re looking to go. As always, if these tips aren’t helping you break through, consult a medical professional to address your body’s needs.
Best of Luck,